- 2 cups (480 ml) Florida orange juice
- 2 cups (480 ml) White wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Lemon juice
- ¼ cup Carrot, ¾” diced
- ¼ cup Onion, ¾” diced
- ¼ cup Celery, ¾” diced
- 2 Tbsp Ginger
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 6 each Scallops, large size, cleaned
- 1 cup Florida grapefruit segments, no skin or seeds
- 4 each Scallop shells (optional)
- to taste Sea salt
- to taste Shichimi spice*
Grapefruit Yuzu Sauce
- ¾ cup (180 ml) Florida grapefruit juice
- ¾ cup (180 ml) White wine
- 2 tsp Grenadine
- 2 Tbsp Shallots
- 1 Tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Yuzu juice**
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- to taste Salt
* Available in Asian markets, or substitute hot chili flakes
** Available in Asian markets, or substitute lime juice
Combine Florida orange juice, white wine, rice vinegar, lemon juice, carrot, onion, celery, ginger, bay leaf and peppercorns in large pot. Bring to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
While poaching liquid is cooking, prepare Grapefruit Yuzu Sauce: Combine Florida grapefruit juice, white wine, grenadine, shallots and rice vinegar in small saucepot. Bring to simmer and reduce volume by ½. Add yuzu juice and butter while whisking sauce. Season with salt, to taste.
To poach scallops, add scallops to poaching liquid and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove with strainer and reserve warm.
To serve, place 3 Florida grapefruit segments in scallop shell. Place one scallop on each shell (or on plate if not using shells) and spoon some Grapefruit Yuzu Sauce over scallop. Season scallops to taste with sea salt and shichimi spice.