Makes 4 – 6 servings
For the Salad:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in 1/2-inch cubes or half-moons*
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 small beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (250ml) Florida Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
For the Orange Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons Florida Orange Juice
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Substitute sweet potato for squash if desired.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 minutes||35 minutes||50 minutes|
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a large bowl, toss squash, chickpeas, and beets with oil, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes flipping or stirring part way through, until lightly golden. Beets and squash should be tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring water and orange juice to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add barley, and cook uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess liquid and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, chickpeas, beets, barley, goat cheese, sunflower seeds, and parsley.
- Whisk together orange juice, mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Pour over prepared salad just before serving, and toss to combine.