Italian Sausage Sandwich With Florida Orange Mustard And Grilled Sourdough
Luganiga Italian Sausage
- 2 cups (480 ml) Florida orange juice
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Florida orange zest
- 1½ lb Pork butt, 1” cubes
- ½ lb Pork fat, 1” cubes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
Florida Orange Mustard Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Florida orange juice reduction (reserved, see recipe)
- 1 tsp Florida orange zest
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, ¾” slices
- as needed Olive oil
Place Florida orange juice in medium saucepot and reduce volume by 2/3. Reserve 2 Tbsp of reduction for mustard sauce. Combine rest of reduction with breadcrumbs and soak.
Combine Florida orange zest with pork butt, pork fat, soaked breadcrumbs, garlic powder, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, red chili flakes, oregano, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Process through grinder using medium-size grind plate. Mix gently until all ingredients are incorporated evenly. Form into small patties about 2½” in diameter. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Combine Florida orange juice reduction, Florida orange zest, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard and chives. Reserve.
Drizzle bread generously with olive oil and grill over medium-high heat on both sides.
Grill sausage patties over medium-high heat until cooked through. Serve with Grilled Sourdough and Florida Orange Mustard Sauce on the side.