- 2 quarts olive oil
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled, cut into ¼-inch julienne
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned
- ½ cup Florida orange juice
- ½ cup tomato, diced into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup Pilsner beer
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
Pour olive oil into large 6-quart stockpot and heat over medium-low heat until it reaches 375ºF. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil with strainer; drain on paper towels. Season with salt to taste.
Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil; sauté shallots, garlic, shallots and jalapeño until aromatic. Add mussels, Florida orange juice, tomato, beer and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover skillet; cook until mussels open fully.
Remove from heat; discard any unopened mussels. Add butter and tarragon to mussels; toss until butter is melted. Serve mussels in large bowl with Olive Oil Frites on the side.