For Spice Sachet:
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- Butcher twine
For Beef Broth:*
- 5 pounds beef bones
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup celery, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup red apple, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger root, minced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Florida orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce**
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot bean paste (or sriracha sauce)**
- 8 ounces rice noodles, flat
- 1 cup carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup enoki mushrooms
- 12 ounces cooked beef flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, small leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, small leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, small leaves
- 6 thin slices Florida oranges
*Note: Can substitute 4 cups prepared beef broth.
**Available at Asian market or specialty store.
Prepare Spice Sachet; Combine spices in medium skillet; toast gently over medium heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Cut a square of cheesecloth. Place spices in center; fold into sachet and secure with butcher twine; reserve.
Prepare Beef Broth; Place beef bones in large stockpot; cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; drain and discard water; return bones to stockpot. Cover bones with 1 gallon of fresh cold water; bring to a low simmer. Skim surface of water with ladle to remove fat; discard. Continue to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
After 1 hour, season beef stew meat with salt and pepper. Brown stew meat in large skillet over high heat; remove stew meat and reserve. Brown onions, carrots, celery, apple and ginger in skillet until medium brown; remove from heat and reserve. Add browned stew meat to stockpot; simmer for 1/2 hour. Add browned vegetables and Spice Sachet. Simmer for an additional hour. Strain broth into a medium saucepot; remove and reserve stew meat; discard bones, vegetables and Spice Sachet.
Add orange juice, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and bean paste to beef broth. Season with salt and pepper; keep hot.
Shred cooked, reserved stew meat into small pieces; set aside.
Cook rice noodles in boiling water for 1 minute or until tender; drain and run under cold water until cool; reserve.
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil; cook carrot strips for about 1 minute, or until tender. Plunge into bowl of cold water filled with ice cubes; remove carrots and drain; reserve. Repeat process with cabbage; reserve.
To assemble, divide rice noodles, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, sliced flank steak, shredded stew meat, cilantro, basil, mint and orange slices among 6 soup bowls. Ladle hot broth into bowls; serve immediately.