- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups onions or shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound celery, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces Florida orange juice
- 16 ounces clam juice or fish broth
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 bay leaf
- Zest of 1/2 Florida orange
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 pounds of assorted fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces*
- 1 to 2 pounds of clams or mussels
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, crab, lobster meat, or rock lobster tails
*Tilapia, halibut and cod work well in this recipe.
1. Heat a deep, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and onions; cook until deep golden.
2. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add tomatoes, celery, fennel and salt; cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
3. Add orange juice, clam juice, wine , lemon juice, thyme, orange zest, saffron; bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to simmer and cook about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. When broth is flavorful, add fish fillets and clams; simmer until fish is thoroughly cooked.
6. Add shrimp; heat through.
Serve with crusty French bread and garlic mayonnaise.