- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) Florida orange juice*
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds flank steak, cut into six pieces
- *May substitute Florida Orange Juice from Concentrate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small baking dish combine cumin, coriander and peppercorns. Place baking dish in 350 degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until coriander is golden. Remove from oven. Using a mortar and pestle or the bottom of a sauté pan, crush spices.
In a medium bowl, combine crushed spices and all remaining ingredients, except for steak, and mix together. Place flank steak in to a 9-inch by 13-inch glass baking dish, pour marinade over steak and place in refrigerator for 2 hours. Turn steak occasionally.
Preheat broiler. Transfer steak and remaining marinade into a 9-inch by 13-inch metal baking dish (a metal cookie sheet will also work) and broil for 10 to 15 minutes to desired doneness. Rotate and turn steak regularly to allow marinade to cook down and glaze steak. Remove steak and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes