For Crispy Calamari:
- 2 pounds calamari, cut into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 2 cups (480 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 quart canola oil
- For Smoked Paprika Florida Orange Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Florida orange juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Florida orange zest
- 2 baguettes
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl; mix thoroughly and reserve.
1. Pour buttermilk over calamari; marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Fill large pot 1/3 full with canola oil; heat oil to 375 degrees.
3. Drain buttermilk from calamari. Place flour in large bowl; toss calamari in flour to coat. Shake calamari in colander to remove any excess flour.
4. Carefully place calamari in hot oil; fry till golden brown. Remove to plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil; reserve and keep warm.
5. To assemble, split baguettes and toast in 350 degree oven.
6. Generously spread cut sides of baguette Smoked Paprika Florida Orange Mayonnaise.
7. Place spinach leaves and Crispy Calamari on bottom halves of baguettes; squeeze with fresh lemon.
8. Replace baguette tops and cut into thirds; serve immediately.