- 16 ounces (474 ml) Florida orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil, divided
- 1 chipotle chile or other favorite chile, finely chopped
- 4 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups sliced onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
Combine the orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf, ¼ cup olive oil and chile. Remove 1 cup of marinade; reserve and refrigerate in covered container. Add chicken strips to marinade; cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions; cook onions until deep golden brown. Remove chicken from marinade and add to skillet. Season with salt and pepper; brown chicken on all sides. Add reserved 1 cup marinade and deglaze the pan. Add red bell peppers; still until combined. Serve immediately.