- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup (240 ml) Florida orange juice*
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 Florida oranges, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1/2 of a medium sweet orange or red pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
*May substitute Florida orange juice from concentrate
In a large salad bowl combine spinach, mushrooms, and onions; set aside. In a 12-inch skillet or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. In a bowl combine cornstarch, orange peel, orange juice, garlic salt, and black pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add spinach mixture. Toss until coated. If desired, return salad to heat and toss 30 to 60 seconds more or until slightly wilted. Return mixture to salad bowl; toss in bacon, oranges, and pepper strips.