“How to get through cold and flu season?” – one of the most popular searches on the internet at this time of year.
Both cold and flu are unpleasant and can linger for weeks if you don’t manage them with soothing remedies and support your system with proper nutrients.
If you are starting to feel the above symptoms or taking care of someone else who is not feeling well, use these OJ inspired tips and recipes for extra support!
Tips for Managing Cold and Flu
- Blow your nose regularly, otherwise you sniffle mucus back into your body.
- Gargle with salt water. It will help to moisten a sore throat and bring a temporary relief.
- Take a hot, steamy shower and apply vapour rub to help moisturize nasal passages and open airways.
- Make sure you are getting immune supporting nutrients every day. Enjoy a 250mL glass of Florida OJ which contains nutrients like vitamin C and vitamin D (in fortified juices).
- Add lots of liquids and easily-digestible immune-supportive foods that contain nutrients like zinc, vitamins C and A to your diet. Nourishing your body with the fuel it needs to support yourself through cold and flu season. Check out some recipes below!
Recipes for When You’re Under the Weather
Homemade FLOJ Tea Popsicles
Soothe a sore throat with something cooling. After a prolonged use, you might get tired of taking cough drops and syrups (they can also be hard on your teeth and digestive system). Try making these soothing popsicles with the wonderful ingredient, The Original Wellness Drink. With vitamin C and vitamin D (in fortified juices) this popsicle delivers immune supporting nutrients.
Orange Spiced Tea
If something cold isn’t what you’re craving, try something warm and soothing. Florida Orange Juice Spiced Tea is a perfect pick-you-up after a long energy-draining day. Especially if you’re working from home, this tea is an excellent afternoon refresher that may help keep sniffles at bay. It’s also super easy to make!
Hearty Coconut Chickpea Soup
Cold and flu season and soups go hand-in-hand! When your body is working hard to fight off germs you may lose your appetite, but it’s important you continue to nourish yourself with the right nutrients for faster recovery! This hearty soup has enough proteins to keep your energy levels up (yummy chickpeas!) and immune supporting vitamin C when paired with 250mL of Florida Orange Juice.
Citrus Asian Style Chicken Noodle Soup
This citrus Asian Noodle Chicken Soup has everything you need. Noodle soup is a classic during cold and flu season, not only because it’s comforting, also because the broth helps you to stay hydrated. The salty broth can support adrenal fatigue and chicken protein and veggies are filling. But this recipe also has a secret ingredient – Florida Orange Juice!