Thai Shrimp and Grapefruit Salad with Coconut Rice
You’re sure to love this recipe for any weekday! Fragrant and easy to make, this grapefruit salad is sure to be a family favourite.
- 2 large Florida Grapefruits, segmented and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 small heads of radicchio, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 mint leaves
- 3 basil leaves
- 2 chiles, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry-roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- Dressing, see recipe below
- Lime wedges for serving
- Olive oil
Coconut Rice Ingredients:
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. coconut, shredded
- Coconut, toasted for garnish
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Florida Grapefruit juice, reserved from segmented grapefruit
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 garlic clove, smashed to a paste
1. Heat a non-stick skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
3. Saute until shrimp turns pink and opaque, approximately 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. Place the segmented Florida Grapefruit, radicchio, carrots, scallions, mint and basil leaves, and chiles in a large bowl. Save several Florida Grapefruit segments for garnish.
5. Add all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
6. Add half of the dressing to the salad mix and toss lightly, reserving some dressing for serving on the side.
7. Rinse rice under cold water.
8. Add all coconut rice ingredients to a rice cooker. Cook rice accordingly.
9. Top cooked rice with toasted coconut and scallion.
10. Divide salad and shrimp amongst six plates on top of a bed of rice.
11. Garnish with Florida Grapefruit segments.
For added flavor, top each serving with chopped peanuts and toasted coconut and serve with a wedge of lime.
For a lighter option, substitute the jasmine rice with cauliflower rice.