- 2 (100 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 225 g fresh asparagus spears
- 1 whole pink grapefruit
- 250 ml pink grapefruit juice
- 250 ml nonfat low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Thyme sprigs or chopped Italian parsley for garnish
For the sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick sauté pan.Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for about five minutes, or until the onions are softened, but not browned.Add grapefruit juice, broth, ground mustard and thyme.Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half.Do not overcook or sauce may turn bitter.Remove from heat and carefully transfer sauce to a blender or food processor.Add prepared mustard, blend or process until smooth, and return sauce to pan.Season to taste with salt and pepper.Cover and keep warm.
Peel grapefruit and remove segments.Set aside.
Grill chicken and asparagus over hot coals until just cooked through.Arrange the chicken, asparagus and grapefruit segments on two warmed dinner plates.Pour the sauce over.Garnish with thyme sprigs or parsley.Serve with wild rice or whole wheat couscous.