- 8 bunches of carrots, peeled and cut slantwise in 3 millimetre thick slices, blanched al dente
- 2 shallots, finely cut
- Juice of 2 Florida oranges
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger syrup
- 3-4 big shrimp (Black Tigers) per person, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 250 ml white Florida grapefruit juice
- 2 fresh bay leaves, torn in two
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 6 egg yolks
- Shredded peel and juice of a red Florida grapefruit
- 60 ml white port
- 1 small bundle of rocket, washed
Fry the shallots in vegetable oil until they are glazed.Add the orange juice, sherry vinegar and ginger syrup; let it concentrate to a syrup.Add the carrots and let it softly heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
Boil the juice of white grapefruit with bay leaves and garlic in a steamer.Keep the juice just under boiling level.Put the shrimp in the steamer and hang it above the grapefruit juice.Put on the lid.Let the shrimp steam for 4-5 minutes until they are almost done, then turn off the heat.
Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks.Set out a pan with a fitting bowl (au bain-marie), fill the bowl one third full of water and bring to a boil.Turn down the heat.Beat the egg yolks with port, juice and shredded peel of red grapefruit in a bowl.Put the bowl on the pan with almost boiling water and keep stirring (5-7 minutes) until a light and firm foamy sauce appears.Flavour with salt and pepper to taste.Remember to keep stirring, otherwise you will end up with scrambled eggs.
Mix the rocket with carrots.Fill up cocktail glasses with shrimp, divide rocket and carrot into the glasses, and cover with sabayon.